Medication in School

Medication in School

In December 2015, the government issued some new guidance on supporting students with medical conditions.

Giving consent for school to hold and administer medication to your son/daughter

The Medical Conditions Policy can be found here and it outlines the different types of medication we can store and also what students are safe to carry in their bags. A major change to the guidance is the way in which consent is given. They are POM (Prescription Only Medicine) or OTC (Over the Counter) forms. POMs can be kept long term within the school whereas OTCs can only be kept for one week in school and after one week we expect parents to collect the medication. Students can carry their own medication but this is at their parent/guardian’s discretion, taking into account how responsible their son/daughter would be in taking their medication. Best practice, where possible, is for students to take medication before they go to school, as soon as they get home from school, and then in the evening, depending on the intervals between dosages.

We would be grateful if you could complete the relevant consent forms as without these new forms we cannot store your son/daughter’s medication in school. You can give the form to your daughter/son to bring in with the medication, you can return the form in person or complete the form in school – whichever is the most convenient.

view our Sixth Form Open Evening page

Medical Information Form

If your son/daughter develops a condition which the school needs to know about and you haven’t mentioned it on the annual green data checking form, please complete the medical information form and email it to or drop it into student support in school.

Medication whilst on Residential Trips

With new guidance issued on administering medication and in accordance with our school Medical policy the residential visit form needs to be completed if your child has to take medication during the residential trip.

This form requests up-to-date information about your child’s current condition and his/her overall health. This provides essential and up-to-date information to relevant staff to help your son/daughter manage his/her condition whilst away. This should include information about medication that is not normally taken during school hours. The residential form also details what medication and what dose the student is currently taking at different times of the day.

It is vital we have a record of all medication, prescribed or over the counter, and that we have consent from you giving staff permission to administer medication as required or that you give consent for your daughter to manage her own medication.

We will keep a supply of over the counter painkillers (Paracetamol and Ibuprofen) but will need your consent if you would like us to administer them to your child during the trip. An email is sufficient to consent to staff giving painkillers on the trip.

Please send any emails to , or you can drop any completed forms into student support in school.

Asthma – Emergency Salbutamol Inhaler

In another recent change, schools are now allowed to keep emergency salbutamol inhalers in school. However, they can only be used by students for whom we have written parental consent. If your son/daughter has been prescribed an inhaler and you would like them to have access to a school inhaler in event of theirs being lost or empty, please put this in writing for the attention of M Barber – Student Support.

If you wish to discuss your son/daughter’s medical needs, please do not hesitate to contact me, by email, phone or drop into student support.

Kay Maynard
Student Support Manager

Tel: 01189780165


Upcoming Events

Save these events
to your calendar.

What Makes The Holt 6th Form Great?

Join us
Back To Top